Phil is frequently instructed on behalf of landlords and asset managers in relation to forfeiture, both residential and commercial, breach of covenant/contract, landlord and tenant disputes and injunctive relief together with complex appeals from the First-tier-Tribunal (Property Chamber) to the Upper Tribunal and Court of Appeal.
Phil has specialised in property litigation for over 13 years. He has been ranked in the Legal 500 for a number of years and in 2019, 2020 & 2021 respectively, received Rising Star status.
The majority of Phil’s work involves high value and complex cases often within the appellate courts. He has significant experience in acting for clients for cases that are listed within the Upper Tribunal, Court of Appeal, Queens Bench Division and the Technology & Construction Courts and has been involved in significant reported cases including recent matters relating to liability for cladding costs, fire safety, service charges and injunctive relief.
Recent instructions include:
- Significant advisory work and litigation relating to landlord’s obligations regarding fire safety, with a specific emphasis on the Housing Act 2004 and the Fire Safety Order following the Grenfell Tower tragedy, including acting in several of the leading cases since.
- A complex series of appeals to the Upper Tribunal in relation to management structures on a large mixed-use development.
- Successfully defending an injunction brought by a developer on a multi-million pound development site in Central London.
- Obtaining determinations on liability in relation to multi-million pounds worth of fire-safety costs.
- Succeeding in opposing an appeal before the Court of Appeal in relation to high value disrepair and service charge arrears case.
Regularly publishing articles and advice across a number of key industry media titles, Phil’s insights and analysis can be found on our news section.
- Law Society of England and Wales
- Property Litigation Association